Welcome to Threlkeld Quarry and Mining Museum
The museum is currently closed
Following our meeting on the 30th of June we can now provide some more information on how we are planning on reopening.
We plan to have a 'soft' opening from Wednesday 15th through to Saturday 18th of July.
It is hoped to run a diesel service on these days to see what the reaction is.
If positive we are looking to open Tuesday through to Saturday thereafter with the possibility of steam.
Due to the increase in workload we would not be able to be open 7 days a week as we have done previously.
Visitors will spot some changes to the Museum.
- There will be a number of hand sanitising points
- A one way system will be in place in the shop and museum building.
- There will be a limit of one 'bubble' per carriage in order to maintain social distancing. The train will run with 5 carriages which will be cleaned down after every trip.
- There will be specific areas marked out for the mineral panning again to maintain social distancing.
- The DIY tea room will remain closed until further notice.
- We are unable to offer underground tours.
This is plan and we still have much to do before the 15th but we'll get there!
Hope to see you all soon.
All the team at Threlkeld Quarry Museum
As always the safety and health of our staff, volunteers and visitors is paramount.
Thank you for your continued support and interest at this challenging time.
If you would like to see what else is happening at the Museum please 'like' us on Facebook
Events and Steaming Dates for 2020
Special events are in bold
Summer steam - TBC
V.E.T. Demonstration Weekend - 19th - 20th September
17th - 31st October - October half term steam
Steam Santa Specials will run on some dates in December - details to be announced later in the year.
Introducing our caving system!
Explore the tunnels in our artificial caving system as you burrow though the underground passages, exploring cave feature and artwork as part of our guided replica mine tours (minimum age 7).
The museum is open 7 days a week from the Easter Holidays (March 28th, 2020) to the end of October half term (Saturday 31st).
For more information and bookings please contact us on:
Tel: 01768 779747/ Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The museum offers activities for all the family, from budding geologists to hopeful prospectors. It includes:
- An underground tour of a realistic mine experience (Please note, mine tours are weather and staff dependent please phone before arrival to check a mine tour is scheduled)
- A comprehensive geological and mining museum
- The quarry site with a unique collection of machinery
- Mineral panning
- School or student groups welcome by arrangement (see our schools section for more details)
- Ample free parking, shop and hot and cold drinks