Welcome to Threlkeld Quarry and Mining Museum
The museum is now open
We are open Tuesday to Saturday 10am - 5 pm
There is no need to pre book
Inline with government guidelines face coverings are now required when visiting the shop and museum building as they are classed as enclosed public spaces/
As the train is not enclosed face coverings are not required.
Please note that seating on the train is on a first come first serve basis so please dress appropriately for the weather as only three of the carriages have roofs
Steam trains are now running on the hour from 11 am until 4 pm.
Visitors will spot some changes to the Museum.
- There will be a number of hand sanitising points
- A one way system will be in place in the shop and museum building.
- There will be a limit of one 'bubble' per carriage compartment in order to maintain social distancing. The train will run with 5 carriages for passengers
whichwill be cleaned down after every trip.
- There will be specific areas marked out for the mineral panning again to maintain social distancing.
- The DIY tea room will remain closed until further notice.
- We are unable to offer underground tours.
Hope to see you all soon.
All the team at Threlkeld Quarry Museum
As always the safety and health of our staff, volunteers and visitors is paramount.
Thank you for your continued support and interest at this challenging time.
If you would like to see what else is happening at the Museum please 'like' us on Facebook
Events and Steaming Dates for 2020
Special events are in bold
Summer steam - TBC
V.E.T. Demonstration Weekend - 19th - 20th September
17th - 31st October - October half term steam
Steam Santa Specials will run on some dates in December - details to be announced later in the year.
Introducing our caving system!
Explore the tunnels in our artificial caving system as you burrow though the underground passages, exploring cave feature and artwork as part of our guided replica mine tours (minimum age 7).
The museum is open 7 days a week from the Easter Holidays (March 28th, 2020) to the end of October half term (Saturday 31st).
For more information and bookings please contact us on:
Tel: 01768 779747/ Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The museum offers activities for all the family, from budding geologists to hopeful prospectors. It includes:
- An underground tour of a realistic mine experience (Please note, mine tours are weather and staff dependent please phone before arrival to check a mine tour is scheduled)
- A comprehensive geological and mining museum
- The quarry site with a unique collection of machinery
- Mineral panning
- School or student groups welcome by arrangement (see our schools section for more details)
- Ample free parking, shop and hot and cold drinks